Grammar School

The founding of the Piarist college in the 18th century made an essential contribution to education in this area, because in this building the second grammar school outside Prague in central Bohemia was established. This building was initiated and financed by count Přehořovský from Kvasejovice and the Count of Vrtba. Since 1907 the grammar school has resided in an art nouveau building in Hus street. In 2006 the grammar school’s assembly hall was reconstructed. During reconstruction the original art nouveau wall paintings by František Urban were uncovered which had been hidden with white paint because of their religious orientation. After years, the assembly hall has regained its original appearance and proved its architectural and artistic value. In 2003 the grammar school celebrated its 300th anniversary.

Copyright 2011 Benešov
Design Free joomla templates, připraveno v redakčním systému Joomla | Web site has been purchased with the assistance of the state budget of the Czech Republic from the Ministry for Regional Development.